saran wrap pattern making

In Montreal I found a broken adjustable dress form in a pile of trash and used foam, duct tape, and an old bra to try and make it my size. It didn’t really work out… the boobs were too high (rather the shoulders too low pffft) and 4 rolls of black duct tape is not exactly easy to pin through. Other than a very curvy hanger, it wasn’t much use for draping… so it ended up in the trash again when I moved.

Anyhow… I found this new idea for making a custom sized flat pattern. Basically you wrap yourself in saran wrap and then cut it off. Check it out…

fashion incubator – saran wrap pattern making method #1

or here…

http://www.fashion-incubator.com/archive/saran_wrap_pattern_making_method_2/

Tent Zipper Repair

I love tents. I love looking at them in the Canadian Tire sales flyer. I even love pitching them in the dark for outdoor festivals… but busted zippers are as common as black flies and often turn a great tent into a frustrating mosquito trap.

As much as I’m totally for reusing stuff till it disintegrates completely, if someone even suggests I replace a tent zipper again I’m gonna kick their ass.

Seems like it should be pretty simple right? I’ve done a lot of zippers, but this one changed my life forever… I will never look at a tent the same again.

My neighbour brought me her dad’s small tent that needed the entry zipper replaced. It had duct tape holding half of it together, the rest of the zipper was badly damaged. No problem, or so I thought…

I went to one of the local fabric and trim shops for “zipper by the yard”. Unfortunately he didn’t have the same type of zipper so I could reuse the sliders, but they could have been the source of the damage in the first place. So he hooked me up with a double sided slider from a jacket zipper, cut that zipper to get the slider off (which itself is worth a couple dollars),  spent 15 min or so putting on the new slider and a stopper – all for only $5! Sweet! I tried to give him $10 (considering the time he spent helping me and the other zipper) but he refused. I thought “wow, what a super guy and he must really want my business” but, he must have known how difficult this was going to be.

So off I go… spent an hour ripping the old one out, removing duct tape, and trying to remove some of duct tape sticky shit left behind, good times. Then I make new casings for the ends, wicked. I attach one side of the zipper, happy to find out it is exactly the right length. Everything looks good. Start with the other side and get about 3/4 of the way and realize something is not right. This side is shorter than the other by about 5 inches. wtf? riiiiight… it’s a CURVED seam. Means one side is longer than the other. Awesome.

So I rip out the longer side, read on the internet about fixing tent zippers (should have done that first right? shut-up) and sure enough, you have to “ease” the longer side in. Let me tell you, there’s absolutely nothing “ease”y about easing nylon. Second try, bunch of little mini pleats and looks like hell. Third try, still some pleats, looks a little better but now it’s too short. Fourth try, whooooo I think I got it. Still has little pleats in it, but fuck it. I’m not ripping it out again.

$40, minus $5 for the zipper… and a lot of stitch ripping.

Alright, so if you need a tent zipper fixed, don’t ask me. Take your broken-ass hippie crap somewhere else! Or screw the environment and anti-consumerism, throw that shit in the garbage, and buy a new one.

Tents are on sale at Canadian Tire.

p.s. if you have to sew something with duct tape goo on it, try rubbing some flour into it. yes I said flour.

Make your own Photo Emulsion

I found a great tutorial on Instructables for “true DIY guide to screen printing” that included instructions on making photo emulsion using a chemical called Potassium Dichromate (which I found at Kama Pigment in Montreal).


This is the cheapest photo emulsion you will ever find… and it is just as reliable and stable as buying commercial emulsion. It works for fine detail artwork and on any screen mesh. I have only used it for water-based inks, but I imagine you could use it for oil based as well but keep in mind the glue is water soluble and any solvents would disintegrate your screen.

**since I posted this in 2009 I’ve modified the recipe and updated here because this post gets so many visitors!**

this is my “converted to baking measurements” recipe 

You need some white school glue, which I buy at the dollar store in either 4oz (single pack) or 2oz (x3 in a pack) bottles.

A 4oz bottle of glue makes just enough to cover three small/medium size (10×10″) screens… but you will want to make 6oz for 3 large screens (20×12″).

First of all, work in a dimly lit room (obviously not totally dark or you can’t see what you are doing, just don’t use an overhead light and not in direct sunlight you should be fine)

Wear gloves… try not to get this stuff on you, apparently it is toxic.

In a small plastic or glass container, put 3 teaspoons of warm water.

Add 1/2 teaspoon of the Potassium Dichromate crystals and stir until disolved.

The Potassium Dichromate is sensitive to light only AFTER you add water, but I keep mine in a airtight container that I covered with duct tape, just to keep it at max potency. The store where I bought it though just has it in clear plastic bags on a shelf. I bought a 1/4 pound bag of it for 8 dollars over 3 years ago and it still hasn’t lost any strength that I can notice (and I’ve got enough left to last another few years!)

Add 4 oz of glue (1/2 cup) and stir well until consistent and no lumps etc…

Spread thin and even with plastic squeegee and allow to dry. (with a fan takes about half an hour to dry)

Exposure time with 250 watt bulb about 20″ above is aprox 20 min.

or 150 watt bulb about 30 min. Depends on your bulb, size of the screen, and distance.

If you have any questions or comments feel free to ask

Cheerz and happy printing!